Nals Margreid| Alto Adige
Stunning, pure, precise and elegant wines
- Chardonnay Kalk
- Pinot Bianco Berg · View stockists (2)
- Pinot Grigio Hill · View stockists (6)
- Sauvignon Blanc Stein · View stockists (1)
- Pinot Bianco Penon · View stockists (4)
- Sauvignon Blanc Gennen · View stockists (1)
- Chardonnay Magred · View stockists (2)
- Pinot Grigio Punggl · View stockists (4)
- Pinot Bianco Sirmian · View stockists (2)
Nals Magreid are a high quality cooperative producing wines from grapes grown only on the most suitable sites. The aim here is to bring only top quality grapes into the winery where they are turned into wine in a way that is both ecological and allows the finished wine to express it’s terroir accurately. There are two ranges of wines, Classic and Selection - all are single vineyard wines with Selection representing the best parcels from each vineyard that bears its name.
Stunning quality Montalcino wines made in tiny quantities
Albatreti is a 29ha property of which 5ha are under vine and 1.8ha dedicated to Brunello di Montalcino. Located at an altitude of 400-500m asl just outside the town of Montalcino in Southern Tuscany, this estate is cared for by hand by the owner Gaetano Salvioni. The skeletal soils (containing a high proportion of rock fragments), contribute to the linear and mineral character of the wines. The only grape variety planted is Sangiovese Grosso.
The leading producer of Vino Nobile & Vin Santo!
- Cantaloro Bianco Toscana IGT ORGANIC
- Il Marzocco Chardonnay ORGANIC
- Vin Santo di Montepulciano DOC (37.5cl) ORGANIC
- Occhio di Pernice (37.5cl) ORGANIC
- Cantaloro Rosato ORGANIC
- La Banditella Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG ORGANIC
- Vino Nobile Grandi Annate Toscana IGT ORGANIC
- Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano Poggetti di Sopra DOCG ORGANIC
- Grifi Toscana IGT ORGANIC
- Oceano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG ORGANIC
- Cantaloro Rosso (150cl) ORGANIC
- El Grasso Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG ORGANIC
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG ORGANIC
- Desiderio Toscana IGT ORGANIC
- Cantaloro Rosso Toscana IGT ORGANIC
- Rosso di Montepulciano DOC ORGANIC
- Da.Di Toscana Sangiovese IGT ORGANIC
- 50 &50 Toscana IGT ORGANIC
Founded in 1974, Avignonesi is the leading winery in the Montepulciano area of Tuscany. Its flagship wine, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, is appreciated by critics and winelovers worldwide and the winery is also renowned worldwide for the unique dessert wines Vin Santo di Montepulciano and Occhio di Pernice.
Avignonesi was purchased in 2009 by Virginie Saverys, who has brought significant changes to the winery. She has worked tirelessly to convert the entire property to organic and biodynamic viticulture, with the clear goal of crafting distinct, genuine wines that fully express the singular characteristics of the Avignonesi terroir. In 2011, Avignonesi applied for organic certification and expects to receive it in 2016, with a slightly longer than usual conversion period because of recent vineyard purchases in Montepulciano.
Today, Avignonesi owns 200 hectares of vineyards spread out over the Montepulciano and Cortona appellations. All of its wines are produced with 100% estate grown grapes. Resident winemakers, Ashleigh Seymour and Matteo Giustiniani oversee production, and under Virginie’s guidance, Avignonesi has developed a production philosophy based on balance, elegance, brightness of fruit and a strong sense of place. Virginie’s appreciation for the malleability of Sangiovese has inspired her to produce a Vino Nobile that fully reveals the complexities of the appellation’s key grape; Avignonesi Vino Nobile is in fact 100% Sangiovese, making this wine a true winelover’s alternative to the more expensive neighboring Brunellos, both in terms of value and style.
Along with Vino Nobile and the critically acclaimed Vin Santo wines, Avignonesi is also known for “Desiderio Cortona DOC,” a Merlot-dominated blend with an iconic “white bull label”. Other notable wines include “Il Marzocco” Chardonnay Cortona DOC; Vino Nobile’s younger brother, Rosso di Montepulciano DOC; and the recently reintroduced “Grifi” Toscana IGT, a rich and suggestive blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Stunning Value Chianti
- Chianti DOCG · View stockists (6)
- Chianti DOCG Vinciano · View stockists (2)
- Sangiovese Toscana IGT · View stockists (5)
- Chianti DOCG Vinciano · View stockists (2)
- Chianti Riserva DOCG Vinciano
- Calappiano Cabernet Merlot Colorino Toscana IGT · View stockists (2)
- Calappiano Sangiovese Toscana Collegonzi IGT · View stockists (4)
- Calappiano Sangiovese Toscana Collegonzi IGT · View stockists (4)
- Chianti Riserva DOCG · View stockists (5)
The Fattoria di Calappiano, in Vinci, in the territory of Montalbano, represents one of the historicalarchitectural treasures of the Medici family of Florence. It was built around 1500 on commission of Grand Duke Francesco I de ‘Medici Prince of Palazzo Vecchio, with the aim of creating one of the first examples of Tuscan Farm with wine production and a hunting reserve to cheer guests during their stay.
Later the farm was sold to the House of Habsburg-Lorraine, and in the nineteenth century Calappiano was nicknamed “Villa degli Inglesi” (English Villa), as it was bought by AH Savage Landor, nephew of the poet and scholar Walter Savage Landor, Shakespeare’s biographer , who was a painter, explorer, writer and an anthropologist. Inside the building you can still find paintings of faraway country peoples and many antiquarian finds, relics of his many trips to the East.
Today the Fattoria Calappiano is owned by the Sensi Family. It’s a place that contains history,tradition and passion for discovery and travelling.
These characteristics are very close to the company philosophy that, with a careful and respectful eye of the past and in love with art and beauty, looks forward to innovating and improving with a modern and international character. The Fattoria
di Calappiano of His Imperial Majesty is currently composed of about 200 hectares of vineyards, olive groves and woods and is protected by the authorities as a natural heritage site for the reproduction of the
local fauna. The Fattoria Calappiano is a laboratory of excellence where unique, territorial and innovative
Tenuta Ormanni| Chianti
Everything you expect from great Chianti, exceptional quality at fighting prices!
- Toscana Bianco ORGANIC
- Canaiolo ORGANIC
- Chianti DOCG ORGANIC
- Chianti Classico DOCG ORGANIC
- Chianti Classico Reserva Borro del Diavolo ORGANIC
- Chianti Classico Gran Selezione ORGANIC
The 13th Century Ormanni estate is located right in the heart of Chianti, between the towns of Poggibonsi and Castellina in Chianti. Proof of the incredible heritage of this Tuscan property can be found in Dante Alighieri’s “Divina Commedia”,where the Ormanni family is mentioned. For the last 200 years the estate has been owned by the Brini Batacchi family, and itis Paolo Brini Batacchi together with his daughter Paola who run the winery today.The Ormanni property covers an area of 242 ha of land, 68 of which are vineyards dedicated principally to the cultivation of Sangiovese.The Ormanni Chianti and Chianti Classico are sincere, soil driven wines, expressive of the Barberino Val d’Elsa commune, where Sangiovese takes on a brooding, austere character, though maintaining a generous, fruity core.
Masseria Setteporte| Etna
Wines of great character, stunning Nerello Mascalese
- Etna Bianco ORGANIC
The winery Masseria Setteporte is located in a very unique place: on the south-western slope of the Sicilian vulcano Etna, in the town of Biancavilla, within the Etna D.O.C. area. Here, viticulture dates back to ancient times. The Portale family, owners of Masseria Setteporte, have passed their winemaking tradition down through generations.The farm was first modernised by Ferdinando Portale who turned the classic bushtrained vineyards into a vertical trellis system, which is more suitable for modern growing techniques. In 2002 Piero Portale decided to carry on his father’s project, taking the farm from its original 12 ha to 27 ha, 16.5 of which are already planted with vines.The vineyards are cultivated on terraces facing south, at an altitude between 650 and 800 metres above sea level. Due to the vulcanic soil, the high altitudes and the typical Mediterranean climate, the wines produced on the southern slope of Etna are unique in their elegance and have an inviting aroma profile as well as superb drinkability. Since 2002, agronomist Giovanni Marletta has been overseeing production at Setteporte.
Casal Farneto| Ancona
Great value wines from Marche and Abruzzo
- Collequieto Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi · View stockists (7)
- Collequieto Pecorino · View stockists (7)
- Fontevecchia Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi · View stockists (5)
- Crisio Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi · View stockists (3)
- Primo Verdicchio DOC Brut
Founded in 1995, CasalFarneto is a 35 acre estate whose key to success is to manage traditional winegrowing and winemaking techniques with modern facilities and an eco-sustainable approach towards nature and the surrounding area.
As an example, the winery has been entirely covered by a roof garden planted to vines allowing for a double experience: the pleasant visual continuity with the landscape and a constant underground temperature at 18-20°C where the barrels and tanks are located. Inside, in line with the low environmental impact of the vineyards, technology couples up with natural processing methods to ensure purity in the wines and in the eco-system. CasalFarneto’s effort to reduce impact on the air, vineyard, land and environment makes it gain the definition of a “technological farm” – a place where to envisage the future of winemaking starting from the tradition.
CasalFarneto’s wine production implements a low environmental impact policy, with specific treatments after chemical analysis, allowing for organic and less invasive fertilisation. Sustainability goes along the vinification process certifying its quality up to the bottling stage.
Agricola Marrone| Barolo
Generous and elegant wines from a family estate in La Morra
- Barbera d’Alba Carlot DOC · View stockists (1)
- Lange Nebbiolo DOC · View stockists (2)
- Nebbiolo d’Alba Superiore DOC · View stockists (2)
- Barolo DOCG · View stockists (3)
- Barolo Pichemej DOCG · View stockists (1)
- Barolo Bussia DOCG · View stockists (3)
- Barolo Pichemej DOCG · View stockists (1)
- Barolo Bussia DOCG · View stockists (3)
Agricola Marrone has been producing outstanding wines in Piedmont for four generations.
The third and fourth generations are running the estate today and every care is taken to ensure the quality of the wines.
The grapes are hand picked into 18kg boxes and transported to the winery on sleds to avoid them being bounced about on the back of a trailer!
The whites are fermented at 16C ensuring freshness with complexity. Red fermentation is traditional but done with a delicate hand to ensure silky tannins.
The wines reflect perfectly their terroir but are, at the same time supremely drinkable lacking the aggressive tannins of so many wines from the region.
Cantine Povero| Piedmont
Quality and value from across Piedmont
- Moscato d'Asti · View stockists (4)
- Terre del Conte Roero Arneis · View stockists (1)
- Cordiale (Cortese) 5L BIB
- Cortese 20L KeyKeg · View stockists (1)
- Bellafiore Chardonnay 3L BIB
- Rosato 20L KeyKeg
- Dianae Barbera · View stockists (2)
- Dolcetto 20L KeyKeg · View stockists (1)
- Monteluzzo Barbera 3L BIB
- Sole d’Ottobre
- Nettare (Nebbiolo) 5L BIB
- Gioiamia Dolcetto 3L BIB
- Barbera Riserva 20L KeyKeg · View stockists (1)
- Nebbiolo 20L KeyKeg · View stockists (1)
- Barbera 20L KeyKeg
- Batu Barbaresco · View stockists (4)
- Capitano del Palio Dolcetto · View stockists (6)
- Contrada Maesta Barbera · View stockists (4)
- Tumlin Roero DOCG · View stockists (2)
- Marida Barbera · View stockists (3)
- Cabanè Langhe · View stockists (7)
- Priore Barolo · View stockists (8)
Although this family estate was formed as recently as 1948, there are documents that show the Povero family have been growing vines and making wine since 1837. Today the estate is run by the grandchildren of founder Bartolomeo. Alessio and Margherita make the wines and take care of the cellar, Daniele works in the vineyards whilst Luca and Romano take care of the commercial side of things.
The wines here are made in a sustainable fashion, with no chemical fertilisers or herbicides used, electricity for the winery is produced using solar energy and water is drawn from the wineries own ancient well.
Giuseppe Cortese| Barbaresco
Outstanding Nebbiolo from a top producer
- Langhe Chardonnay Scapulin · View stockists (3)
Giuseppe Cortese are undoubtedly one of the best estates in Piedmont. In the recent Decanter Piedmont Vintage Report Stephen Brook gave this wine 95 points, unsurpassed by any other wine in Piedmont and top of the Barbaresco tasting! The Barbera d'Alba is the entry level and is a great introduction to the estate and the Rabajà is a wonderful expression of Nebbiolo. Quantities are limited and may have to be allocated.
Tenuta del Melo| Piedmont
Fabulous Organic Gavi At A Great Price
- Gavi DOCG ORGANIC
Tenuta di Melo is part of the Rosso Cairo family's estate that also includes their biodynamic farm. The family have invested heavily in the Gavi region for the last ten years to achieve sustainable agriculture and enhance the local terroir.
The estate has a mix of agriculture, chesnut woodlands mingle with cereal fields, vineyards and pastures which enhance the overall health of the ecosystem. There are 15 hectares in total of relatively young vineyards grown on suitable sites with beneficial exposures. The wines here are Demeter certified.
Nani Rizzi| Valdobbiadene
Top quality Prosecco from family owned vines!
- Prosecco DOC Dry · View stockists (1)
- Prosecco DOC Extra Dry
- Valdobbiadene DOCG Brut · View stockists (2)
- Valdobbiadene DOCG Extra Dry · View stockists (3)
- Valdobbiadene DOCG Brut (150cl) · View stockists (2)
- Valdobbiadene DOCG Extra Dry (150cl) · View stockists (2)
- Valdobbiadene DOCG Cru Millesimato Brut · View stockists (2)
- Valdobbiadene DOCG Cru Millesimato Dry · View stockists (1)
- Valdobbiadene Superiore DOCG Gran Cuvee Ergi Extra Dry · View stockists (1)
- Valdobbiadene Superiore DOCG Cru Cartizze · View stockists (2)
Denis Spagnol is the third generation of winemakers to craft the Glera grapes from the family vineyards in this corner of Valdobbiadene. He is continuing the work started by his grandfather Giovanni, called “Nani Rizzi” by everybody, and by his father Ergi who together use the charmat method to create this range of highly characterful Prosecco. The Jewel in the crown is the Cru Cartizze, considered the Grand Cru of Prosecco. The vineyards are at an altitude of 1000 feet on steep slopes and are traditionally hand harvested after the main Prosecco harvest has finished giving extra depth of flavour to the finished wines.
V Prosecco| Veneto
Popular Fizz At A Great Price
- V Prosecco · View stockists (12)
Our own label Prosecco is made for us by a company with over 70 years of winemaking experience in Veneto. Made from 100% Glera grapes grown in the western part of the Vicenza province in hilly vineyards with some altitude and favourable exposure. Fine and fresh with bright apple and floral notes it's a great value Prosecco for Independent Wine Merchants.
Juicy, fruity wines at great prices from Italy's number one Primitivo brand
- Negroamaro del Salento IGT · View stockists (2)
- Primitivo del Salento IGT · View stockists (2)
- Villa Mottura Negroamaro del Salento IGT · View stockists (2)
- Villa Mottura Primitivo del Salento IGT · View stockists (3)
- Villa Mottura Primitivo di Manduria DOC · View stockists (2)
- Stilio Primitivo di Manduria DOC · View stockists (3)
- Le Pitre Primitivo di Manduria DOC · View stockists (3)
Really juicy, expressive fruit is the hallmark of Fabio Mottura's wines.
This is Puglia's leading wine producer and their wines will have customers coming back again and again. the entry level wines are pure fruity and extremely drinkable whilst the top end Le Pitre are really quite special and very good value for the extra money.
Sibiliana Viti| Sicily
Pure and precise with Sicilian character
- Sibiliano Grillo DOC ORGANIC
- Sensale Grillo DOC · View stockists (3)
- Sibiliano Nero d`Avola DOC ORGANIC
- Sensale Nero d`Avola DOC ORGANIC
One of largest wineries in Sicily, Sibiliana Vini uses the latest in modern winemaking technology to produce this range of wines from indigenous Sicilian grapes. The three quality levels of Grillo and Nero d'Avola show the grapes in increasing levels of complexity culminating in the Sibiliano Organic wines. Perricone is one of Sicily's ancient grape varieties currently enjoying fresh populariy. It gives medium bodied wines with crisp acidity and lots of ripe cherry fruit.
Cà dei Maghi| Fumane
Astonishing wines from Valpolicella
- Recioto Della Valpolicella (50ml) · View stockists (3)
- Valpolicella Classico · View stockists (8)
- Valpolicella Classico Superiore Ripasso (white label) · View stockists (4)
- Valpolicella Classico Superiore (gold label) · View stockists (2)
- Valpolicella Classico Superiore Ripasso (gold label) · View stockists (2)
- Amarone Della Valpolicella Camparsi (white label) · View stockists (3)
- Amarone Della Valpolicella Riserva Canova (gold label) · View stockists (6)
- Senzenel Amandorlato Cabernet Sauvignon · View stockists (1)
Ca dei Maghi is a small farm in the hills of Valpolicella making very small quantities of the most exquisite wines. Although started in the 1950's it is only since 2011 when Paolo Creazzi took over the reins that this estate has gone from being 'good' to outstanding. Each year he seeks to express classical Valpolicella at its very best while his natural inclination to experiment and try new things is shown in the small range of IGT wines produced.
Every growing and winemaking decision made is a deliberate step in the search for the finest wines possible, there is no work around or shortcut with these wines - everything is about making the best wines down to the finest detail. Already with his first release Paolo is winning major recognition and this is an estate that will surely go on to become one of the great names of Veneto winemaking.
La Luna Gaia| Veneto
Amazing Value Pinot Grigio
- Pinot Grigio della Venezie · View stockists (7)
When we went looking for a great Pinot Grigio at a great price one of the producers we approached said 'I suppose you want the Moon on a stick too!'. And so the name was born, after a long hunt, we did finally find what we were looking for and are now really pleased to be selling the result. A brilliant value Pinot Grigio, from cool Veneto at an outstanding price!
Colli Orientali del Friuli
Monviert| Colli Orientali del Friuli
Terroir-driven varietals from Colli Orientali del Friuli
- Martagona Friulano
- Martagona Pinot Grigio
- Martagona Chardonnay
- Martagona Sauvignon
- Monviert Fruliano
- Monviert Sauvignon
- Martagona Pinot Nero
- Martagona Merlot
- Martagona Refosco Peduncolo Rosso
- Martagona Schioppettino
- Monviert Refosco dal Peduncolo Rosso
- Monviert Schioppettino
A family estate producing terroir-driven varietals that embody all the nuances of the Colli Orientali del Friuli. The Martagona range perfectly represents the variety of flavour profiles that come from the different vineyards sites of this diverse region, from the ponca and gravel to the clay soil of the foothills. The Monviert range is made from only the finest grapes of carefully selected individual vines. The winery was first set up under the name Ronchi San Giuseppe shortly after the Second World War, though its roots go even further back, and the family winemaking tradition that started with grandfather Franco has been handed down from generation to generation. Guided by the age-old value of respect for the land, which has driven Monviert since day one, in 2013 an innovative biomass plant was installed, which turns waste such as vine prunings into a resource, satisfying 100% of their hot water demand.
Find out more about Vindependents
We would love to hear from you, whether you are interested in joining us as a member or a supplier, or are just curious to know more.